Friends, as we prepare this morning’s edition of The Beat, news broke that a gunman has attacked a practice of the Republican baseball team. Details are still emerging, but U.S. Capitol Police confirm that the incident involves a member of Congress -- GOP Whip Steve Scalise -- and USCP personnel. The Alexandria Police Department Chief has confirmed that five people, including the suspect, have been taken to local hospitals. Our hearts and prayers are with those affected.
In the news, Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam defeated Tom Perriello in the gubernatorial primary last night. Here’s what else is up today:
- House Dems adopt Rooney Rule.
- Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) made AG Sessions nervous.
- Congressman John Conyers (D-MI) lead 200 Dems to file suit against Trump.
- Congressman Ro Khanna (D-CA) reaches across the pond to defend tech companies.
- About that Barack Obama photo that's floating around the interwebs ...
- Latino Lobbyists announce tonight's awardees.
- The Beat DC's Jamal Simmons talks Hill life with Congresswoman Stacey Plaskett (D-USVI).
- Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva (D-AZ) did not hold back in his statement on Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s Bears Ears recommendation.
- Eric Holder tells Uber to focus on diversity. So meet Bernard Coleman, Uber's Global Head of Diversity and Inclusion.
- Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) tells pro teams to build their own stadiums.
- President Oprah?
- Broderick Johnson is talkin' all that jazz (shoutout Stetsasonic!) on Thursday. Want to join him? RSVP below in FOMO.