Judge Orders White House to Reinstate CNN’s Jim Acosta’s Press Credentials
A federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to restore the press credentials of CNN’s Jim Acosta. But White House officials sent Acosta a letter stating that his pass is set to be suspended again once the restraining order expires. Judge Timothy J. Kelly of the U.S. District Court in DC ruled that the White House had behaved inappropriately in stripping Acosta of his press badge. Kelly, however, declined to say whether the denial of the White House press pass had amounted to a First Amendment issue. “I want to emphasize the very limited nature of this ruling,” he said, saying that it was not meant to enshrine journalists’ right to access. “I have not determined that the First Amendment was violated here.” The legal battle is expected to continue as Judge Kelly ruled only on the network’s emergency request for a temporary restoration of Acosta’s credentials. Hearings on other issues in the case are expected to resume this week. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said late Friday that her team is working on establishing "standard practices" for reporters for future press briefings, adding that "if certain reporters like [CNN's] Jim Acosta can’t be adults, then CNN needs to send somebody in there who can be." Last week, a delegation from the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) met at the White House with Mercedes Schlapp, the Director of Strategic Communications to discuss the revoking of Acosta’s credentials -- which NAHJ condemned -- along with treatment of minority journalists and other press access issues. Meanwhile, the president’s political team released a fundraising email pointing to CNN’s lawsuit as evidence that the news media is intent on hurting the administration. More here.