Attorney Reveals Puerto Rico Has No Hurricane Response Plan
Puerto Rico’s Governor Ricardo Rosselló and other officials announced earlier this month that their newly overhauled hurricane plan was finally complete. They said that residents of the island should feel secure knowing that their government was prepared should another storm hit the island. That, however, does not appear to be the case. NPR reports that on Tuesday afternoon, an attorney for Puerto Rico's government admitted in a San Juan courtroom that, in fact, the island's emergency management agency does not yet have a document outlining a hurricane-specific response plan. "The agency is still working on those plans," the attorney, Tania Fernández Medero, told a judge overseeing a lawsuit seeking to get the government to release the plans. In her stunning admission, she said the government was still assessing proposals from private companies "so that it can hire people who specialize in producing those types of emergency response plans. So, as of today they aren't available. As of today, they don't exist." With just five months until Puerto Rico’s hurricane season, many local journalists expected this was the case. One reporter said that the government's refusal to release its emergency response plan despite publicly saying it was complete had driven her to believe it might not be finished. More here.